27 Ways to Ruin Your Travel Experience
1. You stay most of your travel time in a hotel or resort because it is really dangerous to go out.
2. Expect everything to be just like home.
3. Complain about how you are seen as a dollar sign by locals. C’mon, if you go on a cruise, how many times the staff asks if you want a drink (like 30 times per hour)? How much advertising propaganda do you receive weekly at home?
4. Forget about eating street food.
5. Go ahead and pack two 50 pounds suitcases and two heavy carry on bags. If the airlines have certain rules, why not use the maximum allowance?
6. Anticipate eating every meal over a table.
7. Get pissed off because nobody around seems to speak or understand English. How behind in time are these people? Don’t they know English is the most important language in the world? Yeah, right.
8. “Country X has the worst service in the world. Can you believe I went to a restaurant and it took them 20 minutes to serve my meal? Plus, they didn’t have some items offered in the menu”. Blah, Blah, Blah.
9. Overlook being open to experiences.
10. When you get back home, talk about all the trash and stray dogs you saw during your time abroad. Focus and focus on the negative aspects. People get more interested in that way.
11. Eat only at McDonalds and other well known fast food chains because the local food is contaminated, too spicy and/or prepared with unknown ingredients.
12. Think travel will fit your couch potato personality. “I don’t really like to walk and I detest standing up for long periods of time”. Oh my!!
13. Give your first world attitude to locals.
14. Get arrested. Remember you are way more intelligent than local authorities.
15. Follow the strict itinerary you prepared beforehand. Don’t leave anything to chance and forget about being spontaneous.
16. Travel half around the planet to later refuse going to an iconic place or sight because it is too expensive. 20 dollars to ascend to the top of the Shanghai World Trade Center? 40 bucks to enter Machu Pichhu? Are you kidding me? I am not going.
17. Choose the wrong travel companion(s).
18. Lose the opportunity to bring home something characteristic of the place you are visiting.
19. Everything is going to happen as planned. Ha!!
20. Forget about using your common sense and following your hunches.
21. Don’t you ever think about befriending locals. Nobody should know you are visiting. Somebody may take advantage of you.
22. Insist on maintaining your beauty routine while abroad. Do your nails every two days, follow your daily routine of toner, moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, base, concealer, shadow, liner mascara, lip liner, lipstick, blush and take the usual hour and a half to work on your hair. Let’s see what happens under the 90 degrees weather. Oh and don’t participate on activities that may ruin your blow dried hair.
23. Do whatever you want. Forget about the people you are traveling with.
24. “The world is about to end. My hotel room doesn’t have a TV”.
25. Make fun of local traditions and ways of living.
26. Trash the place you are visiting. If you visit a National Park, destroy some of the plants. Make the place worst for others visiting in the future.
27. Complain, complain, complain. You deserve the best.
Hopefully, you don’t think or do any of this. Travel has taught me a lot. While abroad, my desire is to practice actions that will provide me an excellent medium to absorb the local culture and surroundings.
Do you think these behaviors can ruin your travel experience? What else would you add?