I have some great news!
Lovely Paula, the blogger behind Her Travel Story, has nominated me for Liebster Award 2017.
The award is a way to be discovered but also to connect and support the blogging community. A great idea in promoting your own blog and others. From Paula, I learned the word “liebster” means sweetest, lovely or cutest in German. I really like the meaning of the word since it shows the way I choose to see the world and present it in this blog.
Thanks a lot to Paula for taking me into consideration for this award. I appreciate the gesture.
Official Rules for Liebster Award 2017
So, what you need to do if you are nominated?
- Thank the person who nominated you and write a few words about their blog
- Display the award on your blog
- Write 150-300 words about the blog who inspires you the most
- Optional: provide 10 random facts or about you
- Nominate between 5 and 11 blogs that you think they deserve the nomination
- Ask them a set of questions
- Write these rules on your blog
- Inform the people that you chose about the nomination by sending them the link to your blog post and congratulate them for receiving The Liebster Award 2017!
Here are more details about the award.
Favorite Travel Blog
One of my favorite travel blogs is Oneika the Traveller. She writes killer travel guides or city specific posts. However, she is not limited to those types of narrative. She uses her blog to discuss her opinion on politics, traveling as a woman and traveling as a minority. I love to write (and read) about destinations but I believe it is important to use a platform to discuss topics which can make an impact on someone’s personal life. I will like to follow her example an dedicate some posts to real essence of travel.
10 Random Facts About Me
- I was born and raised in Puerto Rico
- I moved to Los Angeles because I found a job in the aerospace industry once I graduated from college. I have had engineering / data analyst positions since then
- My husband is from El Salvador
- I have been to about 40 countries
- I am the queen of falls. I fell in Honduras (uneven pavement) several years ago and badly damaged my left knee. Last year, I fell from a bike in Budapest and hurt my right knee
- A horse threw me to the floor in Costa Rica
- I am very afraid of heights (and of planes too). There is something I am even more scared of but I am not going to mention it in here
- I am sixth generation descendant of a German. I hope to visit the Bremen area (that is where he took the boat to Puerto Rico) one day to try to find more about him
- I find sports boring
- I love to eat (but I need to take it easy)
Paula you assigned me some tough questions. I have problems deciding on one thing.
- Which is your favorite country you have visited so far? Why?
Oh my! How I am supposed to answer this question? Each country I have visited has left a little piece of joy in my heart.
Since I have to choose, I would say Spain. I felt very identified with the country and enjoyed the cities, food and people.
- What is your most epic story from your travels?
On my second missionary trip to El Salvador, I met the person who later became my husband. The day after I met him, my friends sat him next to me and started to joke about us getting married (for real). We got married two years later.
- Favorite food?
I kind of answered this on the first question. Spanish food is delicious. I cannot stop thinking about devouring everything I can find in the different markers.
Each region of Spain has its distinctive dishes. To me, Basque food was the best!
- What is the one place you would recommend everyone to visit?
I have to say Mexico. The country is going through a rough moment. Just keep in mind the country is big and it has tons of spots that are safe to visit. The cultural, gastronomic and natural richness of Mexico are hard to beat.
- What is the scariest experience you had when traveling?
Experiencing political unrest in Thailand. We were in Bangkok when armed confrontations started. Parts of the train were blown away with a bomb and the center of the city was taken by citizens against the government. It was nerve racking and we had to cancel plans.
- That one moment you will never forget?
My first trip as an adult. I stayed in Europe and Egypt for a month. Sounds cliché but the trip was life changing. Places that seems so distant became a reality. I was hooked and knew travel had to be part of my life.
- Luxury travel or backpacking?
I am fine with something in between.
- Asia or USA?
This is another though question. I have to say USA because I live in here and the possibility of exploring is more real. I still have not dedicated decent time to the USA. I would love to start by road tipping the West. There are so many places I want to visit.
My Nominees for The Liebster Award 2017
Liebster Award Questions for the Nominees
· What country is high on your bucket list? Why?
· If you were given $50,000, who would you take on a trip with you? Where?
· How did you discover your passion for travel?
· What is your favorite sweet indulgence?
· What advice would you give to someone who wants to start traveling?
· Favorite travel medium (plane, train, etc.)?
· Why you decided to start blogging?
· What blog post you were hesitant to write and ended up being a massive success?
Congratulations to the blogs I have nominated! Looking forward to seeing your answers and the random facts about you! Don’t forget to email me/leave a comment with your links so I can check your articles out!