I can’t believe time has gone so fast. We are already in 2012. As a matter of fact, we are already living on the third day of the year. But there is another time-related milestone I have reached during these days.
It is my blog one year anniversary!!!!
Yes, I have been blogging for a year already. In some way, this is all surreal. I still have to pinch myself to make sure I am not dreaming.
About two years ago, I started to read a lot of fascinating travel blogs. All the stories and adventures exposed by daring bloggers fueled my interest in starting a blog. I have to admit that I dragged on the idea for several months. Too many doubts started to plague my mind. So, I just gave myself a deadline and that is how Tanama Tales started.
But starting is just a part of the journey. Keeping up with posting and promoting is another story. I am happy to report that I have shared my stories, photos, and tips with deep passion. I have done it even though the up and downs, the high and lows, the blacks and whites. But in the end, it has all been great.
Why? Because I am kind of in love with my blog. I know it sounds weird but I really love to work on it and be part of the community. So, I feel beyond cheerful with the opportunity to celebrate one year of success.
Plus, this new facet in my life has bought so many blessings and rewards. I cannot possibly name all of them here. I feel so much joy every time I read your comments, e-mails, and tweets. I feel I have gained new friends from all over the world. Learning about other life and plans is amazing. There are so many people out there living amazing lives. All that helps me to stand tall and move further ahead.
Let me cut the talk and let’s have some fun. Here are some interesting facts about my one year baby:
- 187 articles posted
- 1,768 comments and replies
- 1,538 Twitter followers
- 79 Facebook fans
- People from 150 countries have read my blog
- I have blogged about 21 countries.
- Most interesting request – A lady from Poland asked to use some of my Thailand photos on her website.
- Funniest comment – A guy told me he found my blog while searching in Google for the Angry Birds Toucan.
- Stardom moment – Greggy Soriano, a recognized pastry chef, and former reality TV show contestant, e-mailed me to ask if I was willing to credit him for a cake I photographed at the Orange County Fair. Not sure how he found one of his cakes on my website.
- Things I don’t understand about spammers – I have dealt with lots of spam. I don’t understand why people waste their time leaving links to porn sites. It is obvious that I am not going to approve of them. So, if you like to leave spam, please don’t waste your time on my site. Also, I assume people make a lot of money promoting Ugg boots. Not sure if it is a Los Angeles thing (you know, me blogging from Los Angeles where those boots are a fashion statement).
Most popular posts
From the many posts I have published, some have been hits and some have flopped. Here are the most popular ones:
- Avoid being robbed while traveling
- Bloggers Advice on How to Add More Adventure to Your Life
- 20 Bloggers Advice on How to Make Travel Reality
- It is just me or is Brazil expensive?
- How to blend in and avoid unnecessary attention when traveling
Beautiful photo posts
I usually publish photo-heavy posts on Friday. Here are some of the ones I enjoyed most:
- Luzhi Water Town, China
- Antigua, Guatemala (Part 1, Part 2)
- Avalon, Catalina Island
- Grand Canyon’s North Rim (Part 1, Part 2)
What posts I recommend
Here are some of the posts I have written which are not necessarily related to destinations.
- 12 Tips on How to be Brave
- 20 Bloggers Share How Travel Has Changed Their Lives
- How you would feel if you could not travel anymore?
- Travel Blogging: Valuable Contribution or Waste of Time
- Life is the best gift you have been given
What’s new for 2012
In terms of content, don’t worry, I have hundreds and hundreds of possible topics. I am going to continue blogging about my trip to Brazil. I still have to write about my trips to the Riviera Maya and San Francisco (last week). Plus, I still have tons of stuff to share about Los Angeles (where I live) and other countries I have visited in the past.
I am always trying to keep my blog varied. Therefore, this year I want to introduce new features like Discovery of the Week and Travel Bloggers of the Week. I will explain more about these features later. I also want to continue working on projects aiming to unify the blogging community.
This year, I also want to increase my readership. I have learned many tactics and ideas but I need to make them put them into practice.
I still don’t have concrete travel plans for the year. As always, I am at the beginning of the year indecision phase. I have fantasized about a lot of places. Let’s see which destinations become realities this year. I do know I want to continue exploring Los Angeles and the rest of California. Also, I want to participate in outdoor activities like hiking and biking.
Many, many thanks
2011 has been a great blogging year. The reality is that Tanama Tales would be nothing if it wouldn’t for you. Yes, you are the person that makes me continue writing, editing photos, and sharing thru social media. Therefore, many, many thanks to all of you who have read, commented, followed, tweeted, and/or liked this blog. It is very humbling to know that you have used some of your precious time to contribute to the growth of this dream of mine.
And by the way, happy new year!!! I wish you all the best for 2012. Keep loving, keep living, and keep traveling.
P.S. If you want to see more of Tanama Tales in the future, please help me to increase my readership by liking me on Facebook, following me on Twitter, or subscribing to my RSS feed or e-mail updates. I appreciate greatly any help you can give me!!